Beylerbeyi Palace: This Palace was built on the site of and older wooden mansion between the years 1861 – 1865. Western as well as Turkish and eastern motifs were used to decorate the building. It has two sections: The Harem (for women ) and the Selamlık (for men). Including the ground floor, the mansion has three-storeys with a total of twenty-six rooms and six halls. The small pavillions at each end of the long quay were for quiet hours of relaxation and enjoying the view. Behind the building are gardens and terracces with pools. The stable pavilions were built earlier. Beylerbeyi has a well-arrenged garden and a richly ornamented marble exterior. The large hall in the centre section has a pool and a sprial staircase. The varied artistic styles of the hall decorations are striking. In its day, this was a summer palace and guesthouse for foreign dignitaries and other high- ranking quests of the sultan. It has been preserved in its original condition.
Beylerbeyi Palace Entrance Fees 2015 Year
Entrance fees for the Palace are 10 TL for the discount and 20 TL for the full tickets.
If you only go to the palace garden before entering the palace or just come to the palace for breakfast, you have to pay the entrance fee of 1 TL.
Beylerbeyi Palace Visiting Times
The palace is open all the time, except for the summer and winter Mondays and Thursdays. It is open from 9:00 to 17:00.
Beylerbeyi Palace History and Architecture
The settlements in the district of Beylerbeyi started to take from in the Byzantine era. According to the famous eighteenth-century traveler inciciyan, the area was known as Istavroz Bahçeleri (Cross Gardens) Because the great Emperor Constantine had erected a cross here. In the Ottoman era this was made into one of the imperial gardens, İnciciyan relates that the name Beylerbeyi was given to this area in the 16th century because Mehmet Pasha, who was the beylerbeyi ( governer general) built a mansion here. The sultans built several mansions and pavilions on the imperial estate here, and in 1829 Sultan Mahmud II built a wooden waterfront palace. Sultan Abdülaziz demolished this wooden palace and from 1861 to 1865 he built the present Beylerbeyi Palace, which is also known as the summer Palace.
Designed by the famous Ottoman architect Sarkis Balyan, the palace was generally reserved for summer use by the sultans or to accommadate foreign heads of state who visited the Ottoman capital. The prince of Serbia, the king of Montenegro, the shah of Iran and Empress Eugenie of France are among the royal quests who stayed here.
Sultan Abdulhamid II spent the las six months of his life here, dying in 1918. The ground floor of the building contains a kitchen and storage rooms. The building consists 26 rooms and six halls. The floors are covered with rush matting from Egypt which protects against damp in winter and heat in summer. Over this are laid large carpets and rugs, mostly made in Hereke. The furnishings include exquisite Bohemian crystal chandliers, French clocks, and Chinese, Japanesei French and Turkish Yıldız porcelain vases. The most interesting part of Beylerbeyi Palace, which was built during a time of good relations between the Ottomans and teh West, is the historical tunnel which runs under the Set Bahçeleri (gardens). The epigraph on the fountain in the middle of the tunnel contains the name of Sultan II, which gives us the neccessary hint to date the structure. Similar to the Marble Pavilion, the large poop on the upper level garden was built during the reign of Mahmud II.