The Column of Constantine, also known as the Hooped or Burnt Column, was erected in 330 A.D. to honor Constantine the Great and to mark the dedication of Istanbul as the new capital of the Roman Empire. The city’s main road starting at Hagia Sophia passed through this oval shaped square on Istanbul ’s second hill, known then as the Forum Constantine. The column stood taller than it does today, and a gilled statue of Constantine the Great, posing as the sun god, rasted on top The porphyry blocks of the column, which have cracked in time and survived a fire, were rainforced with iron hoops. The white marble capital was added in the 12th century to reinforce the column. It is thought that relics of early Christianity were kept in the small chamber under the column.
The Colum of Constantine History and Architecture
This square and its surroundings that were founded by Constantine the Great who constructed and extended Istanbul as the Capital of Rome was the graveyard area of the period of Septimus Severus (193 -211 A.D). It was connected to Hippodrome Augusteion Square (Hagia Sophia Square) as it was in Divanyolu Street with the street named Mese where lined. The surrounding of the oval shaped square, the borders of which can not be determined, was ornamented with many statues. In the middle of the square, there is the monument erected for Constantine the Great that still remains today. The pieces of porphry stone that constitues the body of the monument were brought from Rome and mounted to its place in 328. The gilded statue of constantine the Great rising on its top that reminds of the Sun God Helios held a globe on its left hand. The statue that was damaged in the earthquakes fell down in the strong storm in 1106. It was restored in the period of Manuel Kommenos I (1143 – 1180) and a marble heading and a bronze cross was placed over it. The body was supported with iron ring to protect from fires and natural diseases. The height of the monument used to be 37 meters is now 35 meters.