To the North of the area where the Gebiz River flows into the Egean Sea is the settlement of Foça. The city was founded bt the Luwians. Its original name was “Pauwaka” , meaning “Arid Palace”. This name was later changed to Fokaia in ancient Lydia. The city grew as a result of those returning from the Trojan War, resisted the Persians in the 5th century B.C., and then joined the Lade Sea War in front of the city of Miletus with 3 ships, and was later governed by the Macedonians, Seleucid, Pergamons, Romans and Byzantines. Foça was taken by the Turkish Caka Bey in the 11th century, and then the Genoese in 1275.
During this period a castle was built outside the city. The people of Foça were very advanced in shipping, and together with the Miletans they established the city of Lampsakos, Amisos and Marselia in France. In 1455 Foça joined the Ottoman Empire. From ancient timesi there is rock tomb known as Şeytan Hamamı (the Devil’s bath), and a few columns of the Temple of Athena have reached today. Foça took the name of the seal, known in Turkish as the Fok fish or Ayı (Bear) fish. Seals live in the underwater caves in the area. The seal, which is the symbol of the city is protected.
Foça Turkey Known for: Seals, contres of tourism which have preserved their natural structure, restaurants, fishing and underwater sports.