Besiktas is one of the oldest disricts built outside the city walls of Istanbul . It is on the European (Rumeli) side of the Bosphorus, lying between Tophane and Ortaköy. If you think to come to Istanbul city, exactky should see the old district. Why? Maybe I can’t define it, but when you come to this district, you will understand to me. Its coast, its natural beauty and historical places captivate to you…
This part of the city is very famous for Istanbul Turkey. This is why it has a football club. Maybe, you have already know name of this club. its name is Basiktas football club and I realized so many people are wondering Besiktas logo. We are sharing with you. And ofcouse, Besikta FC has a stadium which you have seen its photo on top. The stadium were changed. First stadium were very old and this club has so many supporter. They wanted to new stadium.
Basiktas Ferry Schedule
|BESIKTAS – USKUDAR FERRY HOURS|
SUNDAY - HOLIDAYS
Besiktas is one of the oldest disricts built outside the city walls of Istanbul. It is on the European (Rumeli) side of the Bosphorus, lying between Tophane and Ortaköy. To the west is Şişli, with Beyoğlu and Sarıyer to the north. Beşiktaş used to be a part of Beyoğlu till 1930. The name used to be Kune Petro, or “stone cradle.” The famous Ottoman traveler Evliya Çelebi tells us about a stone basin in which Jesus had been bathed as a child that was brought from Jeruselam; a priest called Yashla established a large church at this location. However, there are some historians who support the idea that the city was named “Beştaş” (5 stones) because of the 5 columns that were erected in the sea by Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha to anchor ships; the name altered over time and became Besiktas.
Acording to Dr. Cavit Baysun, this area of the city was closey connected with the Ottoman navy and there used to be a dry dock among the stone cmolumns on the seashore. This is why the locals may have called the “Beşiktaşı” which turned into “Beşiktaş” over time.
Beşiktaş was one of the important residential areas on the Bosphorus during the Byzantine era; from the 4th century until the 15th century, the city of Besiktas was famous for three important structures: Haghios Mikhail Church at Auaplus (meaning aganinst the current), the Hagios Mamas Place complex, which was the summer residence for the emperors, and the Fokas Monastery.
Hagios Mikhail church was contructed by the founder of constantinople, Constantine, emperor between 305 and 337. It was the important place for pilgrimage and attracted many Christian pilgrims. A mosaic icon of Archangel Mikhail was kept in this church.
Beşiktaş became a residential area in the Ottoman Empire. This was an important place for maritime and naval affairs, particularly due to the fact the navy commander Barboros Hayreddin took a great interest in the region. He had a yali (waterside residence) in Beşiktaş. Barbaros Hayreddin Pasha had a mosque, madrasa and primary school built here and he was burried here.
According to city plan, during the reign of Suleyman the Magnificent, Basiktaş came back to life and the area was important in the reign of Sultan Selim II.
The area surrounding the tom of Barboros is known to have operated as a slave market, is known as the Deve Meydani (camel square). This was the origin of the route for caravans, the means of transportation between Anatolia and Rumeli. Later, Beisktas became the gatewey to Üsküdar for soldiers who were being sent from Anatolia to Rumeli or from Rumeli to Anatolia.
The Historical Districts of Besiktas
Arnavutköy: This area is located between Bebek and Kuruçeşme. It was formerly known as Hestai or Promotu or Anaplus in the Byzantine era. Information about how or when Arnavutköy got its present name is very limited. According to one story, the name dates from when Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror brought Albanians to live here.
Asiyan: This region is situated between Bebek and the Rumeli Fortress, on the hills of the cemetery. It was known in Greek as Lemekopi and in Turkish as Boğazkesen, meaning “the Bosphorus Breaker,” as this bit of land narrows the Bosphorus. The area today takes its name from the house of the poet Tevfik Fikret, which is on the hill, overlooking the sea; the world asiyan means “bird’s nest” in Persian.
Balmumcu: This street is situated on the crossroads between Yıldız and Zincirlikuyu on Barboros Avenue. There used to be a farm at the current location of Balmumcu Street during the reign of Sultan Mahmud II (1808- 1839). The mension, known as Bamumcu Kasrı was built during the reign of Sultan Abdulaziz.
Bebek: Information abut the origin of the name Bebek dates back before the conquest of Istanbul. Accoring the one theory, Bebek is named after Bebek Çelebi (whic is most likely nick name, as bebek means “baby” in Turkish), a lietutenant of Sultan Mehmet II; he was sent here to build the Rumeli Fortress and thus establish control of the Boshorus. Bebek Çelebi built himself a mansion and garden here, giving this area his name. From the End of the 18th century untill middle of the 19th century the shore extends from Bostancıbasi Defterleri to the Arnavutköy Wharf and to the Rumeli Fortress. There were about 40 waterside palaces belonging to Ottoman statesmen, suc as the Seikh- ul Islam (the chief religious official in the Ottoman Empire), teh kazasker (military judge) of Rumeli, the reisülküttab (foreign minister), and the chief physician.
Kuruçeşme: This area is situated on the coast and the steep hill that rises behind it; the region streches from the little point in Ortaköy known as Defterdarburnu up to the beginning of Arnavutköy at Sarrafburnu and Çorlulu Ali Pasha Mansion (the current entrance to Robert Collage). The green groves of Kuruçeşme have been depicted in engravings throughout history. It is mentioned as being one of 28 gardens in the Başvekalet archives in the early 1800s. The coastal and mansion gardens that were given to members of the imperial family and high-ranking officials were very important; in fact, often gardeners from Europe were hired to plan and care for the gardens.
Ortaköy : In the past this was a cosmopolitan are with Turkish, Greek, Armenian and Jewish communities. People of different races and beliefs live d to gether in peace and this characteristic of the era has survived until today. Ortaköy can be easily identified from the Bosphorus because of it ornate mosque on the pier.
Yıldız: This area near the Bosphorus is not far from the bridge. Yıldız Palace and Yıldız Park are located here. The residental area lies between Yıldız Street and Yıldız Posta Street on the west side of Barbaros Avenue. The palace and the district are situated on the forest-covered hills that descend to Besiktas and Artaköy.
Dolmabahçe Palace : The location of Dolmabahçe Palace is believed to be the spot where the Arganout
Istanbul Painting and Sculpture Museum: The museum is located in the Heir’s Aprtments of Dolmabahçe Palace. The museum was established as part of the Istanbul Acedemy of Fine Arts (today Mimar Sinan Unuversity) on 10 september 1937 on the order of Atatürk. The entrance is a three-story building consisting of many rooms and halls.
Yahya Efendi Dervish Lodge: This is next to Yıldız Park in Beşiktaş on Yahya Efendi Culde-sac on the right corner. The Dervish Lodge was established by Seikh Yahya Efendi in 1538. It is in a coomplex consisting of a masjid, tevhidhane, madrasa, Turkich Baths, cemetery and various houses.
Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha Monument: The statue is a work of Ali Hadi Bara and Zühtü Müridoğlu. The height of the bronze monument is 11.5 meters. It was revealed to the public on 25 March, 1944.
Tomb of Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha: Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha was appointed commander of the Ottoman navy by Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent in 1534. When he died in 1546, Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha was buried in the tomb constructed for him next to a madrasa in Besiktas as he had requested in his will. The tomb, which lies across from the Sinan Pasha Mosque, was built by architect Sinan.
Naval Museum : This is the largest museum in Turkey as far as square footage is concerned. As for the diversity of the collection kept here, this is one of the leading museums in the world. There are twenty thousand different works of art in the collection. The Naval Museum is a subsidiary of the Turkish Naval Forces and was the first military museum in Turkey.
Sinan Pasha Mosque : This is across from Beşiktaş Wharf. The mosque was built on the orders of Vizier Sinan Pasha who served as kasptan pasha from 1548 to 1550 and who died in 1553. The mosque, a work by the architect Sinan, sits on rectangular plan. The central dome is supported by vaults and six-cornered columns, and there are two domes on the sides. The portico at the back of the mosque was surrounded by a madrasa. The royal lodge has been destroyed. The mosque has a singe minaret.
Ortaköy Mosque: Ortaköy Mosque is situated on the Rumeli side of the Bosphorus, in the Beisktaş district, next to Ortaköy Pier Square. It is surrounded by the sea to the west and south is located on a small point of land. This mosque is also known as the Grand Imperial Mosque.
Rumeli Fortress: The fortress is located within the borders of the Sarıyer district and has given its name to the location; it covers an area of 30,000 m2 . The fortress was built at the narrowest section of the Bosphorus, just opposite Anadolu Hisarı (Anatolian Fortress); when looked from above, the shape of the fortress resembles the name of the Propheti “Muhammed” in Arabic.