Sultan Mehmed II assigned a subaşı (or voyvoda) and a judge the to Galata after the surrender of the city and placed it directly under Ottoman administration. The Sultan demolished parts of the city walls in order the protect the city, afraid that the Christian majority could surrender the tower to Crusaders arriving from teh Sea.
In time, two different nations, the Florantines and Umayyad Arabs were added to the cosmopolitan structure of the population. The Florantines were mainly occupied with trade from 1463 to 1520ç However, they could not continue to live in the city and left their places to the Vantians after the 16yh century.
The settlement of the Umayyad Arabs continued. The Ottoman administration wanted to increase the Muslim population for reasons of security. After 1533, Basrbaros Hayrettin Pasha continued to bring Moorish naval officers and refugees from Andalusia. The umayyad Arabs immigrated en masse in 1610. The bankers in Galata turned the city of Galata into a unique money market.
İncreasing commercial relations and the tranfer of the Ottoman palace from the historical peninsula to Dolmabahçe in Besiktas in the 19th century resulted in heavier traffic between Eminonu and Karakoy.
This mosque is located at the intersection of Tersane Street and Galata Mahkemesi Avenue. This is the largest mosque on the Galata side of the Golden Horn. When Istanbul was conquered a church stood here.
The Geneose, who had gradually anlarged the boundries of the Galata district, too over the Galata Tower area only in 1349, It was at this time that they built the tower here.
The Byzantine resouces refer to this tower as the “Great tower” (Megolas Purgos), while the Genoese souces rfer to it as the Tower of Christ (Christea Turris). It was constructed during a turbelent time in the Byzantine Empire by Genoese men and women of all ages, who worked day and night to complete it.
The hall is located on Galib Dede Street in the Şahkulu Neighborhood. Galata Mevlevihanesi is also known as the Kulepapı Mevlevihanesi, alter becaming the Galib Dede Dergahi, and was the first great Mevlevi establishment. It was built in 1491 on the orders of Viezer Iskender Pasha during the reign of Sultan Bayezid II (1481-1512) on a hunting estate.
The Beyoğlu district encompasset the area from Taksim to the Tunel, and consist of the main street İstiklal Caddesi, which lies between the Tunel and Taksim, all the side streets branching off from here.
İstiklal Avenue is one of the most lively and crowded places in Istanbul with it shops and movies. The street is what keeps the district alive; historically it has been the main entertainment center. The street, which runs between Taksim and Tünel, is the most cosmopolitan street in Istanbul.
French Cultural Center
The French Culturel Center is located at the begining of Istiklal Avenue when coming from the direction of Taksim Square, the starting point of the Beyoğlu district. The center offers cultural activities reflecting the Franco – Turkish relationship as well as language courses.
This is on Istiklal Avenue in the Beyoğlu district. The mosque overlooks Sakızağacı Street to the west and Maliyeci Street to the noth The mosque was built in 1594 by the Agha of Galatasaray, Sheikh-ul Islam Huseyin, and was later renovated during the reign of Mahmud II in 1894. The mosque is attached to the Rumeli Han from the east and it is compeletely surrounded by a courtyar wall.
Galatasaray Turkish Baths
The Hamam (Turkish baths) is on the left side of Galatasaray High School, at the crosroads between the Turnacıbaşı Street and Çapanoğlu Street. It was originally constructed on the order of Sultan Beyazıd II in 1481 in the complex of the Galatasaray School, which gave its name to district.
Galatasaray High School
This school was originally known as the Galata Sarayı Mekteb-i Sultanisi, or Mekteb-i Sultani School of the Sultan, signifying that it was founded by the Sultan.
Saint Antoine Church
Saint Antoine Church is on Istikla Avenue in Beyoğlu, on the left hand side as one goes from Galatasaray to the Tunel. The church, and the buildings that surround it are the work of the architect Giulio Mongeri.
Anadolu Passage in on the Istiklal Avenue, next to the Atlas Cinema. It leads up to Alyon Street, one of the famous old streets in Beyoğlu. The passage was opened to the puplic 20th century.
The Taksim district can be considered one of the most relatively new districts in Istanbul. Centruies ago, Armenian cemetery in a huge meadow and a Muslim cemetery with cypress trees were located here.
Atatürk Cultural Center
When there was a need to construct a building to host cultural activities, naturally Taksim was the first place that came to mind. After the demolation of the Ayazpaşa cemetery in the 1920s, it was the location chosen for bulding apertment buildings; while in the 1920s it was the location chosen for the Great Opera Hall.
Hagia (Aya) Triada Greek Orthodox Church
Situated on Meselik Street in Taksim, this church was built on land surrounded by Istiklal Avenue and Sarıselviler. The façade of the historical church overlooks Sariselviler Street houses and shops owned by the church foundation.
Harbiye Military Museum
The military museum and the cultural complex are located in the Harbiye district of Istnabul. The foundation of the museum dates back to the 15th century. After the conquest of Constantinople by the Turks in 1453, Haghia Irene Church was used as an arsenal where all the valuable weapons and war metarials were collocted.
At the intersection of Teşvkiye, Osmanbey, Valikonağı and Harbiye there is stone that is the symbol of Nisantasi; this stone gave the district its name. On the stone is written: “This work of art was made by Sultan Mecid for no compensation.”
Cihangir Mosque is the pearl of the Cihangir district and its unequaled view enchants the people who visit here. The four-hundred-year-old magnifience of this mosque is complemented by the beauty of Istanbul and the Bosphorus, which we can see from the courtyard.