Laleli Mosque was built by the architect Mehmed Tahir Agha in 1764 on the orders of Sultan Mustafa III. The mosque is an example of Ottoman Baraque style; its unusual architectural design is a symbol of the first Western influence on the Empire.Unlike the traditional Ottoman mosques, the height of the mosque is given importance. The minarets are tall and thin. The imperial entrance leading to the sultan’s gallery which seems to be seperate from the mosque is highly decorated. This was the last complex to be restored in Istanbul , and it consists of a mosque, main center, shops, guesthouse, faountain, inn, and a tomb.
The dome rests on a portico with eight columns. The small domes that surround the main dome also support it. The niche appears to protrude from the building. The mosque takes its name from Laleli Dede who cured Sultan Mustafa III of an illness; he requested that the mosque be named after him.