The Marketplace behind the Sultan Ahmed Mosque is atop the remains of an old palace dated between the 4th and 6th centruies. In the 1930s, mosaics that once covered the floor of a large hall in the palace were discovered in their original palace, at the lower edge of today’s market. The mosaics’ hunting scenes, scenes from everyday life and impressive decorative desings are of high quality workmanship Buds encircled by bent acanthus leaves, a Medusa head and scenes from a lion hunt are some of the most attractive examples. These realistic mosaic panals were created in the style of the Antioch Mosaic School (Roman age).
Mosaic Museum History
It is below Arasta Bazaar that was built Sultan Ahmet Complex. With the work carried out by DR. J.H. Baxter between 1933 and 1938, a courtyard with colums has been found that belonged to the palace. The works that were interrupted due to 2nd World war were continued by Prof. Dr. D. Talbot rice between 1951 and 1954.
Pieces of mosaic pavement have been found at southwest of teh courtyard and some in good condition at the Northeast section of the courtyard. At the museum, these mosaics that were found and taht did not include religious scenes as well as other mosaics in different regions are exhibited. On these mosaics, there are struggle figures of various animals, hunting scenes, horses and sheep on grass, a wolf eating his prey and a shepherd carrying a sheep.