The Selimiye Barracks were originally constructed in 1799 during the reign of Selim III for the Nizam-ı Cedid (New Order) soldiers; originally the barracks consisted of a wooden building on a hewn stone base. When this wooden structure was burnt down by the Jenissaries during a revolt, the barracks were rebuilt in stone during the reign of Sultan Mahmud II. During the reign of Sultan Abdulmecid, the barracks underwent important renovations twice. A seven-story tower was added to each of the four corners during the renovations. During the Crimean War (1853 – 6) the barracks were allocated to the British Army. Florance Nightingale arrived in the hospital to nurse wounded British soldiers in 1854. The room in which Florance Nightingale and her entourage stayed has been preserved as the Florance Nightingale Museum. The Museum was first oponed to the puplic in 1954. Today teh Selimiye Barracks hosts a baranch of the Turkish Armed Forces. In the outher garden of the barracks stands the tallest flagpole in Turkey (eight meters high); thisflagpole can bee seen from several points in Istanbul . The pole weighs 12 tons and the flag that was hoisted on July 20, 2005 measures 15 x 10 meters.