Studios Monastery (İlyas Bey Mosque) The monastery and loannes Prodromos Church that is pretty close to Yedikule Citadel was built by Eastern Consul Patricus Studios on his own land between 454 and 463. Starting from 9th century, it became a cultural center where hundreds of monks lived and religious works were prepared. After the conquets of Istanbul , it was turned into a mosque by İlyas Bey in 1486. The wooden roof of the structure that was damaged with various fire and eartquakes collapsed in 1908. After this, it was not repaired and only with small repairs, it was prevented collapsing further. The sarcohagus and mosaic pieces belonging to Byzantine period that were found in researches in 1907 are now in Istanbul Archaeology Museum. The structure in ruined condition today is very important doe to its architectural features of Early Christianism. The mosaics on the floor data back to 13th century.
Address: (İmrahor İlyas Bey Camii), Imrahor İlyas Bey Avenue, Imam Asır Street, Yedikule.