This church is between Balat Vapur İskelesi Street and Mürsel Pasha Street, on the right side of the road going along the Golden Horn as one goes from Fener to Balat. The Bulgarian word sveti means saint.
It was built in the center of a courtyard surrounded by rallings on the shores of the Golden Horn. Instead of concrete, cast iron was preferred for being lighter in the construction of the church. Pieces were produced in Vienna and brough to Istanbul by ship over Danube River and Black Sea in 1896. The church was built in its current location in a work of 1,5 years in 1898. Carrier profiles of the church were made of steel, and they were covered with sheet iron and casting sheets. In the church which is used by Bulgarians living in Istnabul, tombs of Bulgarian Patriarchs are carefully prorected.
Sveti Stefan Church History and Architecture
Sveti Stefan is an interesting building because it is made entirely out of iron. For this reason, it is also known as the Iron Church. Intially, tha frame was made of steel. The façede of the building is also made of steel. All the doors, windows and shutters are made only of iron. In the interior of the building, the walls, staircases, all the columns and capitals are also made of iron. Only the entrance columns and the capitals have been faced with marble to increase the impressive appearance of the building.
The church was built in eight months in 1896 and opened for worship in 1898 and opened for worship in 1898. It was produced in its entirety in Vienna and transported by train to Istanbul. The church was then erected on land that had been prepared. It is the first cast iron church in the world. The architect was Hovsep Aznavur.
The most important feature of the church is that it broke away from the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and became an independent Bulgarian church in 1870. It is thus an arena of competition and religious strugle between the Bulgarian Orthodox Christians and the Fener Patriarchate.