The last imperial mosque in the classical style, this mosque was built next to the pier in Eminonu, a very busy distrcit then as now. Bacuse of the heavy traffic on Galata Bridge and the sea traffic at the piers in front of it, the mosque is seen by thousands of people every day.
Its construction was started 1589 by Safiye Sultan, mother of Sultan Mehmed III, but was interruptd in 1603 on death of the sultan. Its architect was Davut Agha, a student of Sinan. The construction was resumed in 1661 by Turhan Sultan, mother of Sultan Mehmet IV, and was completed in 1664. Only the large covered bazaar, the mosoleums and the magnificent fountain of the mosque’s scatered comlex have survived. After a long restoration Sultan’s rest pavilion next to the mosque re opened for the visits. Between the south side of the mosque and the “L” shaped Spice Bazaar is the Flower Market. The tea houses here are always full. The spice Bazaar is the second-largest covered market in the city with more than 100 shops, many of them still selling spices, while others are famous for their dried fruits and nuts or their cheeses and pastırma. Outside the market is a colourful street filled with merchants selling fish, cheese or olives.